Friday, March 4, 2016

gelatin printmaking workshop for children

This past weekend I ran a gelatin printmaking workshop for the North Vancouver Community Arts Council.  I ran one for children and one for adults. What is wonderful about this medium is that I could do the same projects for both groups, gelatin printmaking is easily accessible regardless of age.

I did three different projects with the children in order to give them a real sense of all the different types of monoprinting that could be done on the plates.  Although there are many other ways to use the plates, these three projects gave a nice variety within the two hour time frame.

They started the day by doing a layering print using a masking stencil they created themselves.



First I had them create three circles of different sizes. I told them the more unusual the circle shape the better! Then we chose three different inks, light to dark color, and began the first pull using the lightest color.



I had some materials on hand for them to use for stamping into the ink, then we used the circles to create "flowers" adding some string to create stems. They had two pieces of paper. The first to pull the original print and then a second to pull the ghost print. They used the same two pieces of paper for all three pulls, creating a layered monoprint.


This boy was thrilled with his print, he thought it looked like an alien! I suggested that he draw into the print later to bring out the details of the creature. I have to admit, I see E.T. too.



Here is an example of the ghost print.


They loved creating these prints and caught on very quickly to the process. So much so, they could hardly wait to see what was next! After I cleaned their plates, I gave each child a piece of cedar I had cut from my back yard. I told them to take a part off that they liked to use to create a nature monoprint.

For this project I had them ink their plate with two different inks at once, green and gold.




Again each child pull two prints, both the positive and negative image.



Then finally I wanted to show them how they could paint on the plate with the inks to create a picture monoprint. I had birds and flowers for reference.

Each print was started by putting the reference material underneath the plate. Because you can see the reference picture, it is easy to create the beginnings of the painting by laying down the darks and lights.


Once those are in and you can't see the picture anymore, they pull out the reference and then continue to add paint until happy with the final picture. Once completed the children were able to pull two prints, the original and hopefully a ghost.

original

ghost

Sometimes the children like their ghost print better than their original, such was the case below.

original

ghost

I lost the kids in this project, in the best way possible. I could not get them to stop creating prints. Some children created three different prints, but all at least finished two. I have tried to highlight at least one print from each child that day. Hopefully I have been successful but things were moving so fast, I'm afraid I am not quite sure who did what in the end. 



I won't try to attempt putting the ages down on the works, but the children ranged in age from 7 to 10 years old.


I love the perspective of this hummingbird getting a drink.



I feel like the above print would make a great wallpaper too.





I believe every child first created a bird and quickly wanted to try their hand at a flower afterwards.


Then most quickly went back and created one more bird or walked around and admired everyone else work laying out to dry.


The kids worked right up until their parents arrived they were having so much fun. I felt bad as the parents were trying to juggle many prints where they ink was still wet! This lovely hummingbird done in the artist favorite color, pink, was pulled as her mother waited for her to leave.

I did not have time to mount the work for the kids, but if I did I would have cut around the print and then mounted it on a piece of card stock to frame.

I would have had each child sign the print right underneath at the right corner in pencil.


What a fun morning this turned out to be and I think each child went away having enjoyed the learning process of each of the three projects. 

Not much more I could ask for than to watch a bunch of very happy kids leave the classroom. For more information on camps and workshops for both adults and children through the arts council, check out their website here

























No comments:

Post a Comment